Monday, July 9, 2007

Giving to Charity To Alleviate The Guilt

I am a frugal person, but I am so mainly in spirit. In actuality, I have to admit that I spend a lot of money on a lot of crap. While I aspire to one day live a simpler life, in the meantime, I sponsor a child in a foreign country to alleviate my guilt. I've been sponsoring a child now for almost two years. For $32 a month (a pittance, really, considering what I spend on shoes), I am told I give someone else a chance for a better life. Occasionally, I receive a drawing in the mail, made by a little boy in Bolivia, of mountains and trees and lakes. Sometimes, not so frequently, I'll send a postcard with a greeting or a photograph. I notice the money is drawn out of my account only when I see a debit (one of many) on my monthly statement. I tell myself that maybe tomorrow I will be a better person. http://www.savethechildren.org/

No comments: