Thursday, November 1, 2007

Books to Read: Atlas Shrugged


"I don't like people who speak or think in terms of gaining anybody's confidence. If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception. The person who craves a moral blank check of that kind, has dishonest intentions, whether he admits it to himself or not."
-spoken by the character Francisco D'Anconia in Atlas Shrugged

This quote articulates so well something I've often felt. Ayn Rand is a masterful writer and a keen observer of human nature. Although I've never fully bought into her philosophy of "objectivism", I've enjoyed her works immensely. I read The Fountainhead and We the Living back in college, and am now rereading Atlas Shrugged. One of the thickest books ever, but I'm almost halfway through and completely enthralled.

No comments: