Thursday, September 20, 2007

Craving: Yarn

Ah, fall . . . . it does make me want to get out the knitting needles again. One of the best things I ever did was take up knitting, it is so good for the soul. I have just ordered 10 skeins of wool and am about to embark on a new project - a cardigan. Hopefully, I'll finish. If you've always wanted to try knitting, but don't know how to get started, just know that, a few years ago, I taught myself to do it using only one of the "Dummies" handbooks. Since then, I've knitted hats, scarves, afghans, a shawl (which I keep on the back of my chair at work) and socks. If you knit, though, you have to do it because you love it because, unfortunately, given the price of yarn these days (although there are good deals on Ebay) and the amount of labor involved, it's not always economical. I do think it provides one with some perspective on the true value of things. Sometimes, I won't buy an outrageously expensive knitted piece if there is a possibility that I could make it myself (even if it's only a theoretical possibility given my skill level and the amount of time I have). And sometimes, I'll pay a little more for something that is knitted by hand because, having labored over objects that I then proudly showed off as my own creations, I understand better why handmade is beautiful.

No comments: