Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Quote of the Day; Reflections

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important. -- Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness (1930) ch. 5British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

But I find that my work is terribly important - not in the general scheme of things (my job, in particular, is not going to make the world a better place), but to my mental and general sense of well-being. For me, a good day at work is a good day, and nothing is more depressing than becoming bored or feeling like you're stagnating in your chosen career path. That said, my ultimate goal in life is to one day not have to work, and I live (and save) with that end in mind. One of the challenges, however, is to not waste the present, especially while I'm still relatively young (I'm 37).

On a related note, I took a couple of vacation days this week (yesterday and today), and wish I'd made better plans for how to spend it, but will at least try to be active and not squander my days lying on the couch watching t.v. (not that there's anything wrong with that). Yesterday, I went to Central Park with P. and we threw around a frisbee. Today, I'm going to see about renting a bike and riding along the Hudson River. With fall approaching, I find I'm mourning the passing of summer a little more than usual (perhaps because I'm 37) and want to stretch it out as much as possible. Wish me luck!

No comments: