Sunday, December 2, 2007

Dreaming of Falling Off the Grid

I may be outgrowing New York, or perhaps am getting old and crabby, but I've come to think that apartment living in the City is just not civilized. Despite moving into a fancy doorman building in Gramercy Park, I still have to deal with a next door neighbor who is unable to refrain from slamming his door, upstairs neighbors who won't get carpeting (as required by the bylaws) and a resident manager (euphemism for "super") who can't arrange to have the clanging elevator next to my apartment fixed correctly. I feel I'm under assault. Then I read an article in the New York Times real estate section about Ben and Rachel Smith who for $150,000 found a home in the mountains of Panama. They are living my dream! (Except that I want to live in Costa Rica and closer to the beach.) They have views from their terrace of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, live in a bird paradise and can hear the sound of howler monkeys in the tree tops surrounding their homes (I've heard howler monkeys and they actually sound pretty scary, but I'd take them over my next door neighbor any day). Financially, I can't see being able to retire for at least another 15 years, but truly don't think I can wait that long. Drastic measures may have to be called for. . . .